How effective are the company’s research and development efforts in relation to its size?
- R&D needs to be commensurate with the degree of competition and the size of the business. p.54
- Managers must foster a close relationship between research production, and sales. p.55
- The goal is to launch products with maximum sales appeal that can be built efficiently.
- Top management should demonstrate a fundamental understanding of commercial research. They should promote consistent, focused research.
- Defense contract R&D that leads to new techniques and principles directly applicable to a company’s regular commercial lines can have great value to the investor. Their commercial lines are benefiting from the DOD R&D will little or no cost. p.58
- Engaging people associated with the businesses and industry is the best way to measure the research program.